As the global expansion of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve, the Seaford School District is continuously monitoring and adjusting response plans. As the spread of COVID-19 concerns everyone, we appeal to students, parents and staff to become informed about precautions and remain informed as additional information becomes available. As the situation with the virus is quite fluid, the districts contingency plans are fluid as well.
The school district’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic Preparedness Action Plan provides guidelines for the district response. We were at Level 1 until the evening of March 11, 2020. On this date, the first confirmed case in Delaware of COVID-19 was made public. At that point, we moved to Level 2. The district remains open during Level 2 with the following precautions:
- Monitor activities locally and regionally
- Preventive cleaning
- Consider postponing student and staff traveling to our district from areas that are a focus of infection
- Consider prohibiting groups traveling to our district from areas that are a focus of infection
- Consider limiting outside group events in our building
- Consider postponing school athletics and extracurricular activities as well as district sponsored events
- Consider limiting audience attendance at district hosted school activities and meetings
We are following the recommendations and guidance from the Delaware Division of Public Health (DPH) to utilize preventive measures. The preventive measures from DPH in conjunction with the CDC are:
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow, not your hand. If you use a tissue, dispose of it right away
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and warm water, including the backs of your hands and under your nails or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Do not touch your face, eyes or mouth with unwashed hands
- Clean surfaces at home, work or school that you use often
- Stay home when you are sick and avoid other people
- If you are healthy, the CDC does not recommend buying or using face masks. If you are infected, however, a mask can help prevent the spread of a virus
The Seaford School District is implementing preventive measures in order to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission. Measures include:
- Daily disinfecting of our buildings by our custodial staff; twice daily for the school nurse’s offices.
- Conducting a custodial cleaning review when new guidance is provided by DPH and/or the CDC.
- Use of a risk assessment by our school nurses for any students or staff with flu-like symptoms.
- Coordination of a cleaning and disinfecting plan with our bus contractors and drivers
We will update our website https://www.seafordbluejays.org/ on a regular basis as the information is changing multiple times a day. Thank you for your continued support in our effort to keep everyone safe. We are aware of the impact and possible disruption our steps may cause to our daily routines and appreciate the understanding in our effort to keep everyone safe.