Seaford High School opened on September 3, 1929 and replaced an older structure that was destroyed by fire on April 1, 1928. Philanthropist P.S. du Pont funded construction of the new state-of-the-art facility at a cost of $300,000. At first, the school educated white students in grades 1-12, including many from rural communities who previously attended one-room schools. As Seaford grew, the district added separate elementary and junior high schools in the 1950s. This structure remained the high school and was desegregated in September 1961. After a new Seaford High opened in September 1966, this building became Seaford Middle School.
Historical Marker Placed at SMS for its time as SHS
The Historical Marker text at SMS for SHS.